FINAL FAVORITE POEMS READING:
The following are the 12 featured readers for the FINAL Santa Clara County’s Favorite Poems Reading, Wednesday, March 7th at 7pm at Palo Alto Books Inc.
- Karen DeMello, Software engineer & by day, Nature walk educator after hours, Mountain View, reading “Demain, des l’aube” by Victor Hugo.
- Paul Draper, CEO/winemaker, Ridge Vineyards, Cupertino, reading “Last night, as I was sleeping,” by Antonio Machado.
- Dave Denny, Professor of English, De Anza College; Poet Laureate, Cupertino, reading “Let Evening Come,” by Jane Kenyon.
- Paul Dunlap, English Teacher, Henry M. Gunn High School, Mountain View, reading “Elegy for Jane,” by Theodore Roethke.
- Kathleen Goldbach, Music teacher, Campbell, reading “In Praise of My Sister,” by Wislawa Szymborska.
- Maria Judnick, Graduate student & teacher, San Jose, reading “Ulysses,” by Alfred Lord Tennyson.
- Jim Mehl, Retired IBM computer scientist and software engineer
Los Gatos, reading from “Auguries of Innocence,” by William Blake.
- Stephanie Pressman, Poet, Graphic Designer and small press publisher, Cupertino, reading “Journey of the Magi,” by T.S. Eliot.
- Marjorie Schallau, Traveler and lifelong learner, San Jose, reading “The Journey,” by Mary Oliver.
- Greg Scharff, Vice Mayor, City of Palo Alto reading “The Art of Drowning,” by Billy Collins.
- Alan Soldofsky, Director of Creative Writing & Professor of English and Comparative Literature, San José State University, reading “The Dancing,” by Gerald Stern.
- Tim Tomasi, Retired Physician, San Jose, reading “Full of Hope I Climbed the Day,” by St. John of the Cross.
SECOND FAVORITE POEMS READING:
The following are the 12 featured readers for the second Santa Clara County’s Favorite Poems Reading, Thursday, December 1 at 7pm, Booksmart in Morgan Hill.
- Harry Lafnear, Information Developer, IBM, Milpitas, reading “The Night House” by Billy Collins
- Karen English, Professor of English, San Jose State University, San Jose, reading “Contemplations,” by Anne Bradstreet
- Kelly Cressio-Moeller, Stay-at-home poet, San Jose, reading “Fog,” by Carl Sandburg
- Mike Wasserman, Supervisor, Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors, Los Gatos, reading “Casey at the Bat” by Ernest Thayer
- Millicent Kellogg, Sheep Rancher, Poet, & retired RN, Morgan Hill, reading “Jenny Kissed Me,” by James Henry Leigh Hunt
- Steve Tate, Mayor, City of Morgan Hill, reading “At the Zoo,” by A.A. Milne
- Nancy Glaze, Executive Director, Arts Council Silicon Valley, reading “Song of the Powers,” by David Mason
- Mary Lou Taylor, Retired Teacher, Poet, Saratoga, reading “God’s Grandeur,” by Gerard Manley Hopkins
- Dennis Richardson, retired Math teacher, San Jose, reading “Lanyard,” by Billy Collins
- Cinda Meister, Owner, Booksmart, Morgan Hill, reading from The Prophet, by Khalil Gibran
- Darrell Dela Cruz, Academic Coach, San Jose, reading “One Art,” by Elizabeth Bishop
- Stefan Moeller, Physicist, SLAC, San Jose, reading “Song of the Bell,” (“Das Lied von der Glocke”) by Friedrich Schiller
FIRST FAVORITE POEMS READING:
The following were the 12 featured readers for the first Santa Clara County’s Favorite Poems Reading, Sunday, September 18 at 1pm at Stevens Creek Barnes and Noble:
- Parthenia Hicks, Los Gatos Poet Laureate, Los Gatos, reading “What We Want” by Linda Pastan
- Sal Pizarro, San Jose Mercury News columnist, San Jose, reading “The Second Coming,” by William Butler Yeats
- Frances Roberts, Writer and Volunteer, Los Gatos, reading “Tell Me Again,” by Nigar Hanim
- Jason Baker, Mayor of Campbell, Campbell, reading “What Work Is,” by Phillip Levine
- Erica Goss, Poet, Los Gatos, reading “The Rain Stick,” by Seamus Heaney
- Jonathan Lovell, Director of the San Jose Area Writing Project, Professor SJSU, San Jose, reading “Ozymandias,” by Percy Bysse Shelley
- Vicki L. Harvey, Santa Clara, reading “Sweet Darkness,” by David Whyte
- Kara Arguello, Attorney, San Jose, reading “When You Are Old,” by William Butler Yeats
- Marilyn Manzo, Inpatient Pharmacy Department, SCVMC, Milpitas, reading “Rags for Heaven,” by Clem Bascar
- Nils Peterson, former Santa Clara County Poet Laureate, Campbell, reading “Among School Children,” by William Butler Yeats
- Pushpa MacFarlane, reading “The Lanyard,” by Billy Collins
- Dennis Noren, Software Engineer, Campbell, reading “Poem in October,” by Dylan Thomas